background

Monday, September 1, 2014

Goals for this school year #tyiw



Research  
I am no expert. But thankfully, there are some! What are they saying and seeing? What is trending and why? As an innovation and learning coach, I feel like this is the top of my list!  

Reflect  
Taking the time to reflect after a great conversation, a challenging work session, or an invigorating co-teaching is a goal.  Processing the highs and lows and thinking about the growth that will ensue is a necessary part of the learning.  I am not always quick to commit to this time. My example is blogging, the ultimate reflective platform. Today is a step the right direction of reflection.  I appreciated the push from this post from te@chThought.  

Read  
This summer, I read a book each week after a reading drought last school year. I felt personally fulfilled as a result.  My friend often refers to me as Mrs. Pop Culture.  What can I say; I enjoy visiting Barnes and Noble or Amazon and looking at the bestseller lists and checking the titles of in my head.  If I know this is something that fills my tank, it has got to be goal to continue.  A list of my summer favorites below.
Every Day by David Levithan
600 Hours of Edward by Craig Lancaster
The Light Between the Oceans by M.L. Stedman
All the Light we Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
The Thieves of Manhattan by Adam Langer
The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith

Repurpose  
I have the privilege of hearing Dr. Ruben Puentedura, developer of SAMR, speak at ISTE and he was passionate about the repurposing of technology. In fact, it is almost essential to experience redefinition. Redefinition is replacing tasks, imaging possibilities that were not available before, and having the greatest impact on student outcomes. As I partner with teachers and students, this will be an ongoing focus.

Respond  
This can only happen when you are really listening and listening has to be a cornerstone of my role. Sometimes there is a question within a question. It is my job as a coach to respond to the needs of teachers and students and support their quests for innovation, information, and inspiration with fervor.

Regroup
Failing, flailing, and forgetting are all part of the human growth experience.  Forgiveness and moving forward is the next step.  There are times when failing is the only path to new knowledge and taking the leap into uncharted territory is required to get there.  Having the courage to be a learner each day rather than an expert is what it means to be involved in education today.

Relax  
One of the greatest compliments I have received in this role was from a teacher that pointed out that I am always smiling. Therefore, he feels relaxed in my presence. I can keep smiling. No problem.



No comments:

Post a Comment