background

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Are you floundering or flourishing?

I have had a goal for about 5 weeks and I had not pulled the triggerI was foundering!  Let me provide some background information. Liberty North, where I am the innovation and learning coach, has an amazing faculty and offers clubs to increase student engagement and attachment to our school.  I wanted to be a part of this tour de force and have been thinking about it for weeks.  However, there were roadblocks in my opinionmy calendar, the commitment, and mostly the unknown. Will students be interested? Will I prepare and no students will attend? Will it all be a waste of time?  Of course, there is no way to determine the answer to any of my questions until I put it out there and give it a whirl.  Today I decided to risk it and make it happen despite all those pesky unknowns!


There was a bit of research involved, but through the help of a few friends I whittled my idea into something I could articulate.  I was interested in supporting students in publishing themselves using a variety of media and we will start in November with NaNoWriMo.  Imagine my elation when I found out about there is an entire month, website, and Twitter community @NaNoWriMo devoted to helping students be crazy about writing and sharing their work.

Desire to do something is great, but the proof is in the pudding.  It takes true intentional decisions to actualize your goals.  I now have the dates in my calendar, I have notified the organizer, and there are advertisements flying around the school. This is flourishing!

No comments:

Post a Comment